Saturday 16 November 2013

Only in Youthwork!

I think it's safe to say that only a youthworker would be able to choose between "Communicating the Incommunicable Attributes of God" and "Jaffa Cake Face Races" for the titles of my blog!
Our YFC meeting on Monday morning was very productive as we managed to plan the themes of all the talks at our Friday evening events until the summer and even to arrange who would be giving them! I'll be speaking on the power of the Holy Spirit in December. I had a meeting in the afternoon and got a few bits done. Also got to speak to my friend in Uganda to wish her a happy birthday.

Moorlands on Tuesday was good. I took some more books out of the library which will hopefully be useful in writing my essay. We had a brilliant youthwork lecture in the morning on empowerment. Are we, as youthworkers, willing to take risks by giving young people responsibilities that will empower them and enable them to grow? Straight after a huge meal for lunch, our lecturer had the challenge of communicating to us the 'incommunicable attributes of God'! I was very grateful for my A-level in Religious Studies which meant that this wasn't all brand new information and therefore a bit easier to take in!

My Theology Library is slowly growing...
On Wednesday we had a meeting about Sunday school to talk about our aims - i.e. helping the children and young people to learn about God's love and to encourage them to grow in their faith - not just as a means to get them out of the way of the adults during the sermon! I had a meeting in the afternoon about starting to help at an open DofE (Duke of Edinburgh's award) centre soon. It was great and I'm really excited to start volunteering there. The centre is at UKSA - a youth charity. It was really interesting to look around and to see what they do and have. They have so many incredible resources and it struck me that I've never seen a Christian charity in such a privileged position. But this got me thinking, and I came to the realisation that although many Christian charities don't have so many material resources like boats and buildings, as Christians we have a resource which is far greater than others can ever dream of - the security of God's provision, the hope of his plans and the knowledge of his love.

Well I had a lovely evening having dinner and watching a film with a friend, and Thursday morning soon came around bringing with it a morning of discipline training. In the evening we ran a new youth club at church called Rock Solid that we launched last week where we had lots of fun, food and mess. We learn't about perseverance and relying on God to help you. Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." It was a really great evening. We had jaffa cake face races (moving a jaffa cake from your forehead to your mouth by wiggling your face), made paper aeroplanes to transport a chocolate 'passenger' across the room and did 'doughnut face relay races' (a relay race with a stack of doughnuts balanced on your face)... I definitely seem to be getting a reputation for games which involve food...

On Friday I got the ferry over to Southampton where Mum picked me up and we spent the day together. In the evening we went to 'The Big Church Night In' in Bournemouth - a worship event with Leeland and Martin Smith which was great! I stayed the night at my parents' house and got to see my brother in the morning before coming back to the island.



Please pray for me this week...
- To get my essay done.
- As I start helping at DofE on Wednesday.
- In all the things I already do - pray that they will go well and that I'll have a good week.

Thanks :)


No comments:

Post a Comment