Friday 10 February 2017

Life After Uni

So, in the last 8 months I've finished uni, left the place I called home for 3 years, travelled around Italy, started a new job, moved into my own flat in a new place, joined a new church... and then life kind of settled down.

So in the interest of 'being real' and sharing about how life really is, here is one of a few lessons I've learned about 'life after uni'...

The years between leaving school and starting a job seem to be a blur of new places, new people, learning about yourself, learning about life, trips, travelling, essays, adventures, love, laughter, making crazily scary decisions about the rest of your life, squeezing as much life out of life as you can while you're relatively free of responsibility... I could go on.

I've spent the last 4 years absolutely relishing the adventure that life has been and I got used to the fast-paced, 'what-on-earth-is-coming-next?' kind of life...

But now I have a full time job, rent to pay, my friends are busy with work (as am I!) and are far away ...so what free time I have tends to be a pretty predictable pattern of time spent with my family and my boyfriend, time spent in front of the sink tackling the never-ending mountain of washing up that accumulates when you don't have a dishwasher but like to bake... and time spent with the Friends box-set that a friend from church lent me!

Things just aren't so exciting anymore. Don't get me wrong, there's so much about life that is so wonderful and that brings me so much joy... I love my job, and I love my new church and village. I love the variety and the banter and the wonderful people I'm surrounded by. I love being able to see so much more of my family and Tim. I love figuring out how to do life as an adult and I love the space and freedom that comes with living on my own for a while. But I'm having to come to terms with the fact that life has seasons of excitement and seasons of calmness. And it's taking me a while to get used to slowing down.

...Perhaps I should make the most of the peace while it lasts?

No comments:

Post a Comment