Saturday 12 October 2013

Cowboys Descending on Niton

Can I firstly say a huge 'Congratualtions!' to two of my closest friends in Uganda - Brian and Terry, on the birth of their daughter Breanna Bazira on Friday 11th October. I got a phone-call on Friday morning to say that Terry had just delivered a baby girl less than an hour ago and they wanted to know what her name is! Brian and Terry want all of their children's names to begin with the letter B, so I named her Breanna which means 'honourable and strong'. She weighs 3.5kg and Brian said that she looks just like her big sister Berindah. It was so special to speak to them both on the phone and to hear little Breanna crying. As Brian is so much like a brother to me, I am 'Aunty Lorna' to their new baby girl, and I can't wait to meet her if God takes me back to Uganda soon.


Mummy and Daddy with big sister Berindah

Last weekend I went out for a meal to celebrate a friend's birthday and met lots of new (absolutely crazy) people there which was great!
In the afternoon I finally did some baking - something I've been wanting to do for ages and haven't had the right moment...
We had our weekly meeting at YFC on Monday morning, and in the evening I went to visit Niton Rock Solid youth club. It was crazy as they have so many kids that come, but it was good fun and was great to see how they do Rock Solid it over in Niton.

I got up at 5.15 on Tuesday morning and this week was my turn to drive to Moorlands. I forgot how much I enjoy driving on the mainland (on bigger roads!)Our lectures were good and I handed in my first essay which made me feel very efficient.

I was exhausted on Wednesday, but fortunately I didn't have a very busy day. I did some odd bits of planning, and I had a meeting in the evening. We decided that we're going to start a new Rock Solid youth club at church after half term which is so exciting!

I got to meet up with my field work tutor on Thursday. This is something organised by Moorlands - each placement based student gets paired up with a Moorlands graduate . The idea is that we can meet up every now and then and I can ask lots of questions and she can support me in my studies. It was lovely to meet up and was a good chance to ask lots of questions about what is required for my portfolio.

On Friday evening all of the Rock Solid youth clubs from all over the island descended on Niton, dressed as cowboys for their annual 'Night Hike'. During the evening they had to complete various challenges, one of which I was running. It was a great night and was good to meet all of the Rock Solid groups and to mess around in the dark.

My Mum and some of her friends are on holiday on the island for the weekend so I stayed with them in Niton overnight which was lovely (especially the cooked breakfast in the morning!)

All of the YFC core team are off on retreat on Monday to somewhere in Wales for the week.

Please pray...- For Brian, Terry, Berindah and their new arrival Breanna. Pray for them to adjust to a new family dynamic and to enjoy their new little one and also pray for health and provision.


- For the YFC team on retreat next week. Pray that we will all become closer as a team and spend some quality time getting closer with God too.

No comments:

Post a Comment