Saturday 29 March 2014

Blogging From a Ferry

I’m writing this blog sitting in my car in the Red Funnel car park in Southampton whilst I’m waiting for the ferry to go back to the island. I’ve been on the mainland this week at Moorlands Bible College where I’m doing my degree. Because we only usually go once a week, we have to do a few block weeks through the year to cover the modules that we don’t have time for on Tuesdays.

This week we covered Church History and World Religions – all in one week! As well as lectures all day, we also had to prepare for group presentations which we gave on Friday. My group gave a presentation on Buddhism and Chinese religions, and from all the other groups we also learnt about Hinduism, Islam, Sikhism, Catholicism and Paganism. I love learning about other cultures so I thought it was great! It was also really interesting learning about the history of the church, and although its sad to remember how many times the church has gotten things so fundamentally wrong, it’s also good to learn about all the great things that the church has done too… and just down right funny to imagine people like Stylites living on top of a pole for several years!

Because we’re all placement based, most of us don’t get to see each other very often – and even when we’re in college on Tuesdays we don’t really have a lot of time to catch up, so block week is a brilliant chance to spend time together with other people who are doing similar things. They’re a great bunch and it was a blessing to have this time to spend together in the evenings (when we weren't preparing presentations!).
On Tuesday my Mum came down to take me out for dinner which was lovely (Seeing Mum of course, but also the enormous chocolate brownie that I had for pudding!!!).

Walking by the sea with Mum on Tuesday.
 I headed home for the night on Friday evening to catch up with Mum and Dad, and John and Cat even made an appearance to say ‘hi’ which was nice! Then on Saturday (today) we headed down to the church to help make posies for Mother’s Day which gave me a good chance to catch up with a few people. Now I'm on the ferry heading back to the island armed with cake!

I feel like I just spend my whole life ‘catching up’ with people that I don’t get to see enough of! I’m definitely learning how precious time is.

Thanks so much to those of you who pray for me, if you'd like some pointers this week...
- Pray for 'The Space' - a youth cafe I've recently set up, and that God will use it.
- Pray for my friend and her daughter who are both not very well.
- Pray for the young people I work with and for me as I try my best to guide them through life and teach them how much God loves them.

No comments:

Post a Comment