Sunday 3 August 2014

Holiday Club

We've had a holiday club at the church that I work with on the island this week and its been brilliant. We had around 40 children who came along every morning and a fantastic team of volunteers from a selection of churches on the island who ran the club. The club was themed around 'Cops and Robbers' but we focused on the story of Joseph in the Bible. This meant that the crafts ranged from making police hats and handcuffs, to making pop up Joseph puppets falling in a well and on the last day we even made junk models of Pharaoh's palace! Of course we had a typically cheesy and tuneless theme song which we had the joy of singing twice a day... The kids all absolutely loved it and we all kept catching ourselves singing it all week!
My role was as a team leader, but I also had the task of running games every day with one of the other leaders... among other things we played 'police dog' (bull dog!) and relay races and we even managed to get 40 kids around a parachute! 
I think the biggest achievement of the week however was successfully getting all the kids to bake scones on Thursday! 

Cops and Robbers Holiday Club
Among it all though, we had the absolute privilege of getting to teach these kids about the gospel and to share with them the amazing news that God wants to be their friend, and that he made that possible through Jesus' death. God's grace never fails to blow me away, and the fact that he would chose to use someone like me with all my flaws and failures to tell these kids about him is just amazing. I couldn't have been happier on the last day to see some of the kids in my group telling God that they wanted to be his friend.

Holiday Club was over by lunch time every day, so we had the afternoons off. Clare was staying with me on the island this week which was brilliant. She came along and helped out as part of the team at Holiday Club and we spent the afternoons together; walking along the beach, swimming in the sea, eating cream teas, drinking hot chocolate and talking ... a lot! I can't thank God enough for blessing me with such a great friend!

With Clare on the beach


No comments:

Post a Comment