Sunday 28 September 2014

If you could not fail

I have a pack of cards that I use in youth work - each card has a question on it, designed to get young people thinking and talking. One of the questions I read recently really got me thinking...
"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"

Ashamedly, my first thought was selfish - I would try to achieve something for myself, like climbing a mountain or swimming a great distance, but I quickly gave up on that idea when I realized that 'inability to fail' doesn't equal 'ease'.

Taking on a great challenge is inevitably challenging (the clue is in the word!) It requires patience and strength and sacrifice, but there are some things that we're willing to make sacrifices for.
I know that with Christ behind me this question takes on a lot more weight, for "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Philippians 4:13). Of course, this verse doesn't grant us super powers to do as we please, but it does promise that when we're acting according to God's will, we don't even need to have words like 'impossible' in our vocabulary.

When I thought about this, the answer to the question was a lot more obvious to me... 
And with my answer, I also found a challenge - something to do and act on, something in which I should expect to make sacrifices, but something in which I can also expect to see God's hand every step of the way.

I won't tell you what my answer was... because each of us will have our own answer - our own calling and our own challenge that God will ask us to attempt; knowing that for as long as we stay with him, we cannot fail.


Check out my youth work blog at http://gunvillemethodistyouthwork.blogspot.co.uk/ to find out what I've been up to in my work.


No comments:

Post a Comment