Sunday 15 September 2013

New starts and old friends

Wow, well this has been an intense week!
Until Wednesday I was on the Isle of Wight, visiting different clubs that go on at church like indoor bowls and a mother and toddler group. I also went to my first YFC team meeting which was great - it was lovely to meet the team and to talk about all the things that are coming up in the next few weeks and months with YFC on the island. I also visited a youth group in another area of the island to see how they do things and I even found some time to explore a bit and go for a walk along the coast! I've met so many new people this week which has been great and I'm looking forward to getting to know people better as I spend more time with them.




On Wednesday evening I took a ferry back across to the mainland and drove back up to Basingstoke ready to meet Clare (one of the gappers from my gap year) in the morning. We made rolex for lunch, which is a type of food we used to eat in Uganda - omelette wrapped in a chapatti. Then we drove to Kent to go and visit Smile's new gappers at their training week. We were so excited because we got to get together with all the others from our gap year and also to meet Alex (our project manager in Uganda) for the first time since leaving him at Entebbe airport back at the start of July.
It was lovely to meet the new gappers and tell them all about Uganda. I'm so excited for them but also feel quite jealous as I know what an incredible year they're about to have.




So all of us ex-gappers went back to stay the night at Finch's house, and the next day 4 of us drove back to Basingstoke. It was great to be together again. Alex came on Saturday and we took him to the village show and went for a walk. We had dinner together and just enjoyed spending time together like we used to in Uganda. They all came to church and to the church lunch today. Today was my last day at Christ Church for what will probably be a long time.
Seeing everyone leave was hard - it reminded us a bit of how we felt when we left Uganda and then left each other the week later. I'm just looking forward to when I can go back and visit my friends there. All of us ex-gappers are starting uni now, so I'm looking forward to visiting them in the next few months.
Pray for me this week as I spend the week at Moorlands for a block week of study at the start of my course.


P.s. for those who asked for my new postal address...

Lorna Randall

5 Goldcrest Close
Newport
Isle of Wight
PO30 5FX


Mail is always welcome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment